Monday, January 28, 2008

Our Loved Prophet

Our Prophet Gordon B. Hinkley passed away yesterday. We will surely miss him. Nicholas and I read this shortly after we found out and it is very comforting to hear..................


My brothers and sisters, let me first deal with a personal matter.
The President of the Church belongs to the entire Church. His life is not his own. His mission is to serve.
Now, as all of you know, I am somewhat old in years. I had my 96th birthday last June. I have learned from many sources that there is considerable speculation concerning my health. I wish to put the record straight. If I last a few months longer, I will have served to an older age than any previous President. I do not say this to be boastful but rather grateful. Last January I underwent major surgery. It was a miserable experience, particularly for one who had never previously been a patient in a hospital. Following this was the question as to whether I should undergo further treatment. I chose to do so. My doctors have called the results miraculous. I know that the favorable results come from your many prayers in my behalf. I am deeply grateful to you.
The Lord has permitted me to live; I do not know for how long. But whatever the time, I shall continue to give my best to the task at hand. It is not an easy thing to preside over this large, complex Church. Nothing escapes the attention of the First Presidency. No major decision, no expenditure of funds is made without their approval. The responsibility and stress are great.
But we shall carry on as long as the Lord wishes. As I said last April, we are in His hands. I feel well; my health is reasonably good. But when it is time for a successor, the transition will be smooth and according to the will of Him whose Church this is.

1 comment:

Jonathan & Rachel said...

I remember this talk. It is very comforting. We miss him already!